Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Silenced Dialogue by Lisa Delpit


The Silenced Dialogue: Power and Pedagogy in Educating Other People’s Children

By: Lisa Delpit

 

When first reading this article I didn’t really like it. I don’t think it’s right that people don’t speak their minds or go silent because they don’t feel like others will listen no matter what the color of their skin is. I believe that that everyone has an equal voice and everyone deserves to be listened to. This article really focuses on the five aspects of power, however I’d like to focus on the first two. First, Issues of power are enacted in classrooms. With the issues of power in the classroom, power is everywhere. It’s not only with teacher and student, but with the structure of the school, academics that teachers need to follow, or social hierarchy. Second, there are codes or rules for participating in power; that is, there is a “culture or power.” “The codes or rules I’m speaking of relate to linguistic forms, communicative strategies, and presentation of self; that is, way of talking, ways of writing, ways of dressing, and ways of interacting.” I believe that every child learns differently and it’s important for the teachers to realize that and try to accommodate every student. But I also feel it’s very important for teachers to maintain control of the classroom as well. That doesn’t necessarily have to be in the way they structure their sentences either. I don’t think you have to command something to get a positive reaction.

 

Overall I found this article to be very informative.  

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhGsy3QUSow


http://gtm.s3.amazonaws.com/t/1074782/m/m7e8354cc719c4ead762655a6b516edb205dd57a0.jpg

 

No comments:

Post a Comment