Sunday, October 19, 2014

Unlearning the myths that bind us - Linda Christensen

Unlearning the myths that bind us - Linda Christensen

    



Before reading this article, I saw Disney movies and cartoons as the innocent movies and shows I grew up watching. I remember having many movie nights where I would get my popcorn and get lost in the stories of the Disney princesses I loved to look up to. I use to look up to all of the princesses and the stories their movies told.
     After reading this article, Christensen has got me thinking. She's got me critiquing the "innocent" movies I once loved. Whether intentional or not there were stereotypes throughout all of the movies I can think of. Whether it be a man/prince as the hero, a damsel in distress, or the appearance of one's figure, they were there. With this being said, do I personally believe watching these movies influenced me? Yes, I do. But I also believe that my parents did a great job at showing me that these were just stories, they were just fairy tales. I'm not saying that the stereotypes weren't in them, but I feel it is important for the parents to be aware of what their child is watching and take affirmative action and teach their child what is the right thing to focus on. Or use one of the stereotypes as a lesson and teach them why something is or isn't right. There are stereotypes in everything we watch no matter what age so it's important to teach the right materials when faced with this.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about parents taking a role in being aware of what we watch as children. I definitely knew that these were just stories, thanks to my parents. They taught me about stereotypes, and what it meant to be myself. I LOVED disney princesses as a child, but I was also on the all boys baseball team and i loved to play outside and get dirty. I know now that my parents had a huge part in this, and that it is important for any parent to discuss with their child what exactly it is that they are watching.

    ReplyDelete